Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Minha Vida, Traduzida


Frase do Dia: Vambora Brasil!*
English translation: Let's go Brazil! I'm starting easy, but it's official: I'm a World Cup convert. The only thing that could have possibly made yesterday better was a greater margin of victory against North Korea. After a powerwalk along Copacabana Beach (yeah I'm a forty year old woman even in Rio), Gaurav and I set off for a half-day at work, grinded out a few translations, and left, only to discover that rush hour hit a little earlier that day. The whole city basically stopped functioning at 2 PM yesterday, which I discovered as I stood on the bus back to Ipanema smushed between five men in suits. Pleasant. That being said, Rio's atmosphere during a World Cup game is incredible. The whole city was decked out in green and yellow, waving Brazilian flags, with various noisemakers in hand. If a store didn't have a TV in it, it wasn't about to stay open. For the actual game we went over to Carolina's friends' apartment for a churrasco (Brazilian barbeque) on the rooftop. Música, futebol, cerveja, e carne? I feel like I'm living out every man's dream.
* Obrigada, Carol!

Further Back In Time...
On Sunday Gaurav and I accompanied Professora Leslie to one of the many cultural centers in Centro to see a dance-theater performance. I was expecting ballerinas, but instead sat through 90 minutes of screeching noises and grotesque scenes done to Mozart's Requiem. Clearly I am not cultured enough, as everyone else in the audience gave a standing ovation, but I think I'm a happier person because of it. In my own very theater-illiterate opinion, the best part about the "engrossing tribute to Goya" was that it only cost $5 Reais. I'm still undecided as to whether it was better or worse than the Sammy Davis Jr. Musical I went to over fall break.

Making Terrazul Bilingual
Over the past few days we've been translating a document Terrazul has prepared to outline the plans of Rede Arredores, their Lake Protection Project. It turns out that translating technical documents is much easier in theory than in practice; it's like taking apart a puzzle and having to put back all the pieces in a completely different arrangement. Because many direct translations simply don't exist, the people at Terrazul are probably giving us more leeway than we deserve as far as propagating their material in English.

Working for a non-profit like Terrazul makes you aware of how important the need for communication and publicity is. By virtue of being an environmental NGO, Terrazul has to create an informed general public that is willing to aide in protecting the area from pollution. This may be paraphrased from one of the documents I'm translating, but hey, at least it gives me hope that what we're doing will actually help the organization. I've already grown to really respect the people who work there. They are all kind, helpful, and know how to strike a balance between accomplishing the work they want to get done while still being relaxed and friendly. If this is the Carioca professional world, I want in.

Beijos,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Hellooo Liz! This is Carol, Carolina's friend! I really loved your blog, it's really interesting to read about Rio from another point of view other than ours. Can I make a little correction? The expression for "Let's go Brazil" would be "Vambora", which is an abbreviation to "Vamos embora". "Vai embora Brasil" would mean something as "Go away Brazil" hahahhahhaha, which we do not want! We want Brazil to stay at the World Cup!
    This work you are doing along with Gaurav is really nice, I'm very glad there's people willing to do it. =]
    Anyway, I'll keep on reading your blog!

    byee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooo Liz! This is Carol, Carolina's friend! I really loved your blog, it's really interesting to read about Rio from another point of view other than ours. Can I make a little correction? The expression for "Let's go Brazil" would be "Vambora", which is an abbreviation to "Vamos embora". "Vai embora Brasil" would mean something as "Go away Brazil" hahahhahhaha, which we do not want! We want Brazil to stay at the World Cup!
    This work you are doing along with Gaurav is really nice, I'm very glad there's people willing to do it. =]
    Anyway, I'll keep on reading your blog!

    byee

    ReplyDelete